The GIS®-kit is a procedure pack in the field of gynecological ultrasound to perform a gel-ultrasound procedure, Gel Instillation Sonohysterography. Gel Instillation Sonohysterography (GIS®) is a new technology that allows high quality ultrasound imaging of the uterine cavity.
By using ExEm® gel instead of infusing the cavity with a saline solution, the cavity can be filled and images obtained in a stable manner. This method improves the quality of the ultrasound examination resulting in virtual hysteroscopy.
Apart from the excellent diagnostic value of GIS® (Gel Instillation Sonohysterography) and Virtual Hysteroscopy, which equals diagnostic hysteroscopy, several advantages have been acknowledged.
Benefits of Gel Instillation GIS® over Saline Infusion SIS
– more detailed visualization
– longer examination time
– better 2D and 3D recording and reconstruction
– better imaging of Essure® intratubal devices
– single handed / no need for assistance
– shorter procedure time
– less inconvenient for patient and examiner
From the healthcare management point of view it is furthermore a unique selling point that a GIS® procedure can prevent a diagnostic hysteroscopy in most of the cases and that the GIS®-kit is directly available during first consultation without staff assistance and without the need for a new and separate appointment, contrary to the alternatives: Saline Infusion Sonohysterography (SIS) and/or diagnostic hysteroscopy. Therefore GIS® is also very cost effective.
For the hospital this is beneficial because the costs for supplementary staff (assistant or nurse) and equipment is lower (sterilization of hysteroscopes and the use of disposables is more expensive than a GIS®-kit) and for the doctor this is beneficial because more time can be spent with new patients and/or other medical procedures.
GIS®–Kit shows better results of a uterine ultrasound:
- Fertility & Sterility, Vol. 87, No. 1, January 2007, 152 – 155, Exalto et al, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Department of Clinical Pharmacy, Spaarne Hospital, Hoofddorp, The Netherlands, Gel instillation sonohysterography: first experience with a new technique.
Background Literature on Gel Instillation Sonohysterography (GIS):
- See documents referenced in Flow-Chart (Flow Chart is te vinden in map “Web pagina’s”)
- ASRM & ISUOG 2009, Emanuel et al, Ob/Gyn Spaarne Hospital Hoofddorp (Amsterdam), the Netherlands, The diagnostic accuracy of Gel Instillation Sonohysterography (GIS) compared with Saline Infusion Sonohysterography (SIS); A Randomized Controlled Trial.